I get this question a lot from clients. Most clients I work with tend to be empaths and people who are starting to awaken their gifts. They are beginning to feel more around them, their intuition is waking up, and they are questioning everything.
It's totally normal to feel this way. In this post we discover what the "5 Clairs" are and how you can harness their energy as you develop your intuition. Discovering your intuitive gifts can also help when it comes to healing the shadow self, following your dreams, manifesting, connecting with your soul's purpose, and creates a sense of trust.
The 5 Clairs are types of psychic abilities we all possess and they correspond with the 5 senses-- hearing, seeing, feeling, smelling, and tasting. There is also a 6th clair listed below and is connected to our 6th sense--that moment you just "know." To discover which one may be your "gift," or your strength, read the descriptions below.
Clairvoyance means clear seeing. This is when visions past, present and future flash through our mind's eye, or third eye, much like a daydream. Many of us are highly visual and able to understand an idea best when we see it written or sketched out as an image on a computer screen or on a canvas. Visual people often choose to be artists, builders, photographers, decorators, designers and so forth. If this sounds familiar, your clairvoyance is most likely a dominant sense.
Clairaudience means clear hearing. This is when we hear words, sounds or music in our own mind's voice. On rare occasions, spirit may be able to create audible sound, though this takes a tremendous amount of focused energy. Some of us best retain and comprehend information when we hear it spoken aloud. Our natural talents tend to lie in our auditory faculties, often making us gifted musicians, singers, writers and public speakers. If this feels right to you, clairaudience may be a leading sense for you.
Clairsentience means clear feeling. This entails feeling a person's or spirit's emotions or feeling another's physical pain. Many of us are clairsentient without consciously being aware of it. When we get a strong "gut" feeling, positive or negative, about someone we just met or when we get the "chills" for no apparent reason, we may be tuning into the emotional energy of a person or a spirit around us. When we are highly sensitive and are in tune with not only our own feelings, but also the feelings of others, this makes us natural healers and caregivers. We often feel inspired to pursue careers as doctors, therapists, counselors, nannies and teachers. If this is you, clairsentience is at the top of your senses list.
Clairalience means clear smelling. This is being able to smell odors that don't have any kind of physical source. Instances of this could include smelling the perfume or the cigarette smoke of a deceased relative, used as a sign of their presence around us. When our sense of smell is strong and distinct, we may find that certain smells connect us to past memories or we may be drawn to working as a florist, a wine taster or a perfume fragrance creator.
Clairgustance means clear tasting. This is the ability to taste something that isn't actually there. This experience oftentimes comes from out of the blue when a deceased loved one is attempting to communicate a memory or association we have with a particular food or beverage that reminds us of them. If we have a heightened sense of taste, this would make us natural chefs, bakers or food critics.
Claircognizance means clear knowing. This is when we have knowledge of people or events that we would not normally have knowledge about. Spirit impresses us with truths that simply pop into our minds from out of nowhere. An example of this would be a premonition: a forewarning of something that will happen in the future. Claircognizance requires tremendous faith because there's often no practical explanation for why we suddenly "know" something. Many philosophers, professors, doctors, scientists, religious and spiritual leaders and powerful sales and business leaders tend to be highly intuitive and seem to just know the facts with a sense of certainty. If this is you, consider claircognizance as one of your dominant senses.
So perhaps after reading the above, you know one or a few of these clairs where you feel confident that this is your ability. Yet, how can we continue to develop these senses?
Here are a few simple ways you can start today to practice each and strengthen even your weakest intuitive gift.
To strengthen Clairvoyance:
1. Take time daily to meditate (3-11mins)
2. Take time daily to visualize your ideas and your life.
3. Close your eyes and gaze up towards your third eye. Keep gazing there to activate your pineal and pituitary glands to "see" intuitively.
The more we visualize, the more our mind and the universe will send us "visions" or images in real life-- such as angel numbers and auras.
To strengthen Clairaudience:
1. Take time to sit in outside. Simply listen to the sounds around you and identify each. Do this for 30 minutes.
2. Speak less, listen more.
3. Close your eyes. Listen to music and see if you can identify each instrument.
The more we take time to listen, the more the universe will send us messages auditorily through music, sounds, and even voice (please know, that your guides only speak positively and want to lift you up. Any negative thoughts that you think you hear are your own ego/subconscious)
To strengthen Clairsentience:
1. Set an alarm on your phone for up to 3 times per day. The alarm should say, "How are you feeling?" Notice how you feel in those moments.
2. When something feels off, notice it. Trust your feelings and take action steps to remove yourself, even if it's just going to the bathroom.
3. Journal your feelings each day.
The more we connect with our feelings daily, the more we will trust the "hits" that the universe sends us.
To strengthen Clairailience:
1. Become aware of what you smell. Simply notice it.
2. When you smell scents, notice which ones make you feel happy, sad, nostalgic, and even bad.
3. Start playing with essential oils. How do these scents make you feel?
Connect to your sense of smell every day to start to be able to connect with how a smell makes you feel.
To strengthen Clairgustance:
1. Choose your favorite meal. Make the space you are in quiet and only focus on the meal. With each bite, close your eyes and taste each flavor. Really savor the moment.
2. Choose a food you are not very fond of. Take a bite. Notice how this food tastes and how it makes your emotions and physical body feel.
3. Notice after tastes. Are they good or bad?
The more we open up to really taking time to taste, the more we can tune into the things that are good for our body, mind, and soul.
To strengthen Claircognizance:
1. When an idea pops into your head, trust it and go for it!
2. Do some automatic free writing. Allow thoughts to simply flow through you.
3. Our belly and stomach area is our second brain. We get our "gut feelings" here. Do some solar plexus/ab exercises or breathwork.
When we trust our "hunches" and listen to our "gut," we are able to "just know."
You could choose one of the spiritual gifts to focus on for a week and complete the practices above.
Remember, just because you are strong in one clair, doesn't mean you can't develop the others. With tuning in, we can develop any of these psychic abilities.
If you'd like to develop your intuition, try this free meditation.