Updated: Apr 8, 2019
Journaling has always been a vital part of my spiritual and therapeutic practice for as long as I can remember. I still have two boxes full of old, filled up journals stored in our attic from when I was young. Growing up shy prevented me from speaking my truth outright, but writing always held a special magic in how it allowed me to verbalize anything I was thinking or feeling without judgement.
I could create and heal worlds that existed inside of me.
The act of keeping a journal has been studied by psychologists for years and there are plenty of benefits, including many for relieving anxiety and PTSD. Journaling is also said to:
Boost your mood/affect
Enhance your sense of well-being
Reduce symptoms of depression before an important event (like an exam)
Reduce intrusion and avoidance symptoms post-traumaImprove your working memory (Baikie & Wilhelm, 2005)
And it can also connect us with our inner-child, our conscious/subconscious desires, our inner-priestess, and our inner-witch.
Two Types of Magickal Journal Writing
As we grow in our spiritual practice, a great place to start is to connect daily by journaling. Some magickal ways you can journal include stream of consciousness writing or mediumship automatic writing.
Stream of consciousness writing is when you simply allow any thoughts that form in your mind to flow out through the pen and onto the page, no matter how silly it sounds. A great book to read if you are just starting this type of writing is called "The Artist's Way" and she has you go through a process called writing morning pages each day as you wake up. It's a great way start to chip away at the conscious mind and see what is happening underneath the surface. It also teaches us to listen more to what we are thinking and helps us with our manifestation and meditation techniques.
Mediumship automatic writing is quite a bit different. This is when you allow another entity to write it's message through you. This could be your higher self, a particular goddess, an angel, an ancestor, or someone you feel called to hear more from. There is also another form of automatic writing called psychography, where the medium will go into a trance and allow the deceased person to write using his/her hands. I do highly recommend casting a circle or putting up some kind of protection (shield, crystals, energy) during this kind of writing as well as doing a clearing after wards depending on the type of entity you are working with. If you have specific questions regarding that, please feel free to message me.
I choose to spend some time journaling in stream of consciousness writing and seeing what comes forth from me, and I also spend time allowing goddess to move through me and see what she has to say. Have the words to look back on and re-read is truly what is most cathartic.
13 Journal Prompts for Witches
1. What does it mean to be a witch to you (behavior, appearance, practice, etc)?
2. Take time to do some stream of consciousness writing for 28 days starting on the New Moon. Write at least 2-3 pages each day. After 28 days go back and re-read. Make notes on your inner ebb & flow.
3. Do you have a favorite witchy holiday? Which one? Why?
4. If Goddess/The Universe were speaking through you, what might she say to you today?
5. Take a moment to remember yourself as a child. Remember the magic in every day. Go out to nature and journal everything you see, smell, feel, taste with a fresh perspective.
6. Write down everything you WANT to do. Make this list as long as you'd like. This can be a list you use for future vision boards, spells, or go out and do them right now!
7. Does my magic fill me up? Am I connected to my power? Do I own my magic or hide it?
8. For 7 days, wake up and write down your dreams. Find a dream dictionary to attempt to decode them.Are there any recurring themes? What is good or needs to change?
9. How can I incorporate magic into the mundane (work, every day experiences)?
10. Sit with your back against a tree and tune in to that tree. See if you can hear the trees stories. Write down anything you receive.
11. If one of your ancestors were speaking through you, what might he/she say to you today?
12. Is there anything new you'd like to incorporate or learn on your spiritual path? Why?
13. How can I best express my magic today?
I've also added an image below that you can save to your phone or share for others who may like to use this information as well.
Blessed be )O(